Saturday, February 16, 2013

kale and purple cabbage salad


How do you make salad? Is it out of a box? Do you make your own dressing?

We used to have our salad pre-washed, pre-sorted, and easy to make. Our dressing was balsamic vinegar and olive oil. You can't get simpler than that.

My latest favorite salad is this one. Almost as easy to make and much prettier than our old version, it has been perfect for the cold months. And the ingredients keep really well. No more wilting, spring greens growing slimy in our fridge. I keep a bunch of kale and a head of cabbage, just slice off some cabbage and de-stem some kale and I'm done. Add some crumbled feta and my honey-mustard dressing and it is the perfect combination of spicy-sweet, crunchy cabbage, with crisp, leafy, tart kale and creamy sweet feta cheese. I highly recommend it.



Kale and Purple Cabbage Salad
Makes 1-2 servings

4-5 leaves kale, de-stemmed and chopped to bite sized bits
1/4 head small purple cabbage, sliced
1 handful crumbled feta cheese
Combine all ingredients in a serving bowl. Add dressing.

Honey-Mustard Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon mustard {I use whatever we have in house - which is usually spicy}
Whisk ingredient together.



2 comments:

  1. The salad looks delicious...especially in that cute bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this colorful salad! I just included it in my Holiday Salad RoundUp! Thanks for the inspiration! http://teaspooncomm.com/teaspoonofspice/2013/12/spinach-salad-roasted-apples-holiday-salad-round/

    ReplyDelete