Tuesday, August 6, 2013

zucchini-basil soup


I discovered a lovely thing and I want to share it with all of you marvelous people. If you buy basil on the root it keeps as if it were planted in the ground... indefinitely. Just place it in a vase of water and you can have fresh basil every night for weeks!

Another wonderful discovery for me is this insanely simple, and equally delicious zucchini soup. I found it over at Epicurious and was so stunned by the meager list of ingredients I had to make it.

All you need to make a wonderfully spicy, flavorful soup is... five ingredients (plus a few spices thrown in for good measure):

zucchini
basil
garlic
onion
water

I kid you not. You end up with a creamy, but textured soup (the texture depends on how finely you blend the ingredients), with no cream anywhere in sight. I added a pinch of cayenne powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and a bunch of freshly ground pepper.

{recipe}

I am entering this dish in Souper Sunday over at Kaihakai Kitchen. Check out the other entries.


3 comments:

  1. Whoa! This really is a simple recipe!! And with my favorite summer flavors I know I'd love it. Also, thanks for the basil tip! I do that sometimes with cilantro but never thought to do it with basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... I love zucchini soups and this one looks so wonderfully simple! Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete