Monday, December 9, 2013

pear and goat cheese tarts


Lately, when I tell people I have a food blog they say, Oh, are you a foodie?

My instinct has been to profusely deny such an outlandish claim.  

A Foodie?? Me?? Nah. I just... um... like food. Who doesn't?

But the more I get asked the question the more I am starting to think that, yeah, I am a Foodie.

Case in point: I walk into City Bakery in NYC to get some lunch. While waiting to buy said lunch I see these amazing pear tarts on the counter. The pear halves sitting right on top of lovely cheese filling. My first thought is not, Oh, that looks good. I should buy one. But rather, How can I make that? And I ask, Is that puff pastry?

If that makes me a Foodie, so be it.

This improvised recipe did not hit the mark. Perhaps less cheese per tart would have been better - I have seen some people mix lemon juice with the goat cheese. Maybe that would be better. Any ideas??

Pear and Goat Cheese Tarts
Makes 9 tarts

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
3 tiny pears
4 oz goat cheese
4 tablespoons honey
Water
Sugar for dusting

1. Poach the pears, cut in half, with their skins, in enough boiling water to cover them and the honey dissolved for 5 minutes. Cut into quarters and let cool.

2. Unfold pastry and cut into 9 squares. Place on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Put one dollop of cheese on each square. Place a pear quarter onto each cheese dollop. Push them in to secure them. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for 715 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! these look amazing!! I love all things about this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tarts look simple, elegant and geometrically fantastic!

    ReplyDelete