Wednesday, February 26, 2014

dutch stamppot




I love the Dutch. Everything about them. Their dams, their windmills, their tulips, wooden shoes...


But seriously, had you asked me if I wanted to visit The Netherlands 20 years ago I would have scoffed. What about Italy? What about France? What about Morocco??


Then I went there. It was after I'd been to Italy, France and Morocco, in search for a better place to call my home. None of those came close. While in Morocco, my sister and I befriended some Dutch guys and we became friends for life. Then we took advantage of our new friendship and visited them the following year... and I fell in love with the country. I even tried to stay there, but was unsuccessful in getting hired. The EU, you know.


I have finally made their signature dish, which I first ate this at Restaurant Moeders - Stamppot: a mixture of root and green vegetables all mashed up, generally served with sausage of some sort. A real simple winter meal; sticks to your ribs and warms your heart.  It reveals the nature of the Dutch: straightforward, comfortable, no nonsense, and easy going.


Dutch Stamppot


Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 small bag fingerling potatoes
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • Water
  • 1 small bag fresh baby spinach
  • 10 chives, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Salt to taste
  • Kielbasa or other spicy sausage
Instructions
  1. Place potatoes and garlic in a pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and mash. Immediately add butter and mix in to melt.
  2. Add spinach to boiling water. Cook for 5 more minutes, until spinach has wilted but is still bright green. Drain spinach and cool. Once cool place between a clean towel and squeeze excess water out. Chop finely.
  3. Add chives and spinach to potatoes and mix. Salt to taste.
  4. Meanwhile, fry the sausage in a skillet until warm. Serve together.

No comments:

Post a Comment