Tuesday, May 20, 2014

spicy dal



After two weeks of having a sore throat, my husband has cast it onto me. I am sure he is well rid of the affliction, but now I suffer.

Because of my current throat situation, my eating options are greatly limited. Tea, yes. But how much tea can you drink?

Luckily I saw this dal recipe at Joanne's blog. Nicely spicy with all the good things that cure what ails you. I had to make it. But I didn't want to go out and buy all the many ingredients that she put in it, ingredients that I would be hard pressed to use up. And besides I didn't want to go out for anything at all. So I made this dish with what I had in my kitchen. This is what 'adapted' really means: too lazy to go out and get all the right ingredients.

It came out super spicy. Use the cayenne with caution.

Spicy Dal
Serves 4-8, adapted from Joanne @ Eats Well With Others

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dried grey lentils
  • 1 14 oz can black beans
  • water, to  cook beans
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onions, chopped
  • 6 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
  • 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
Instructions
  1. Rinse black beans and lentils. In a large pot, combine the beans. Cover with water by 1 inch. Add a big pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat to a simmer, cooking for 1 hour or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the onions over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until starting to caramelize, stirring frequently.
  3. Stir in the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
  4. Add the cinnamon, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, chili powder, curry powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
  5. Pour the tomatoes into the pot wit the beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That is usually what adapted means when I say it also. :P I think your changes sound great! I hope it made your throat feel better!

    ReplyDelete